In 1517, the Augustinian monk – Martin Luther – appeared in Wittenberg against the abuses associated with the sale of indulgences. This protest, formulated in the form of 95 theses, led to the creation of a separate current in the Christian religion. Protestants in the world today constitute over 800 million believers – and after Catholics they are the largest group of Christians.
Soon after Luther’s speech, his ideas and in Pomerania found many supporters. Even 150 years ago, every fifth inhabitant of the area on which Gdynia is today was an Evangelical denomination.
500 years after the events in Wittenberg, we would like to remind you about the heritage of Protestants in Gdynia and its surroundings: the parish life of Lutherans in Little Kack, the evangelical colonists from Góra Donas and the Polish Evangelical-Augsburg Order from the interwar period. The story in the form of an exhibition about Gdynia’s evangelicals is not only a pretext to get to know the Protestant churches and the principles of their faith. It is also a source of reflection on our memory and oblivion about the members of these churches who for centuries lived, prayed and worked.
VERNISAGE: 10/11/2017, at 18:00
DURATION OF THE EXHIBITION: 10/11/2017 – 25/02/2018
PLACE: Museum of the City of Gdynia, ul. Zawiszy Czarnego 1, Gdynia
CURATOR: Dr. Andrzej Hoja